Biography Of Timi Dakolo
Biography Of Timi Dakolo: Timi Dakolo is a Nigerian singer, songwriter, and soul performer who won the first edition of the Idols West Africa competition in 2007. In 2007, he was crowned the winner of the competition. He has been dubbed “Africa’s golden voice” and has signed a recording contract with Virgin Emi Records (UMG).
Timi Dakolo’s Background
Biography Of Timi Dakolo: His parents, a Nigerian father and a Ghanaian mother, welcomed him into the world on the 20th of January 1981 in the Ghanaian capital of Accra. He is originally from the Nigerian state of Bayelsa.
Timi Dakolo’s family went through a difficult time when his mother passed away when he was thirteen years old. After his mother died away, his grandmother, Ateni Dakolo, took on the role of primary caregiver for the young musician.
He graduated with honors from the University of Port Harcourt with a degree in Communication Studies. Following his victory in the West African Idols competition, he moved on to study songwriting in order to pursue a career as a professional musician.
Dakolo is married to Busola, with whom he has three children. Timi Dakolo is the youngest of the three children.
Timi Dakolo’s Early Professional Life
Biography Of Timi Dakolo: In his own words, Mr Dakolo credits his grandmother for urging him to join the choir and cultivating his musical abilities. He joined the Purple Love singing group as a result of his grandmother’s support. Eventually, the group rose to prominence as one of the most popular music groups in Port Harcourt.
The music group was dissolved in 2005 since all of its members were accepted into the University of Port Harcourt at the time of the dissolution. Almost around the same moment, Timi Dakolo was named the winner of a local talent search competition known as the G.E FACTO.
When he won the Idols West Africa reality program in Calabar, Cross Rivers state, in 2007, he had his big break in the entertainment industry. When Mr. Dakolo learned the tragic news of his grandmother’s dying while the tournament was still in progress, he was completely devastated.
After quitting the reality program, he recorded a rock ballad, Heaven please, as a memorial to his grandmother, in which he collaborated with rapper M.I.A. He also released a music video for the song, which was titled Heaven please.
Timothy Dakolo released his first song in 2009, followed by the release of his first studio album, Beautiful noise, the following year. The album received a great deal of positive feedback from critics and fans alike.
- Beautiful Noise – 2011
- Merry Christmas, Darling – 2019
Singles And EPS
- Send Down the Rain – 2013
- Iyawo Mi – 2014
- Wish Me Well – 2015
- Medicine – 2017
- I Never Know Say – 2018
- Merry Christmas, Darling – 2019
- White Christmas – 2019
Accolades and commendations
- Nominated for the Best High-Life Video at the Nigerian Music Video Awards (NMVA) – 2014
- Nigerian Music Video Awards (NMVA) nominee for Best Cinematography – 2014
- Best Vocal Performance at The Headies – 2014
- Nigeria Entertainment Award nominee for R&B Artist of the Year – 2015
- COSCON Award nominee for the Best Song in Lyrics – 2015
- Nominee at the COSCON Award for the Best Love Song – 2015
- The Headies Award for Best Recording of the Year – 2016
- Best Vocal Performance (Male) at The Headies Award – 2016
- The Headies Award for Best R&B Single – 2016
- Nominee at the Nigeria Entertainment Award for Alternative Artist of the Year – 2016
- City People Music Award nominee for RnB Artist of the Year – 2016
- Nominee at the City People Music Award for RnB Artist of the Year – 2016
- Nigeria Entertainment Award nominee for Best Song of the Year – 2016
- Nominee at the Nigerian Entertainment Award for Inspirational Artist – 2017
- The Entrepreneur Africa Prize for Music Business – 2019