Biography Of Phuti Mahanyele
Biography Of Phuti Mahanyele: She is a business figure from South Africa who now serves as the Chief Executive Officer of Naspers’ South African branch. She also served as the previous CEO of the Shanduka Group of companies. Aside from that, she is the creator of Sigma Capital, which is an investing business.
Phuti has served as the CEO of a number of different businesses. She is a seasoned business leader who has built a good track record of success throughout her professional life.
Background Information about Phuti Mahanyele
Biography Of Phuti Mahanyele: She was born in March 1971 in the South African township of Meadowlands, in the Soweto region. Following the loss of her mother in 1989, she was raised by her father and his wife.
Phuti left Soweto when he was 17 years old to study at Douglass College in the United States (part of Rutgers University). She graduated with a B.A. in Economics from that institution. She also has a Master’s degree in Business Administration (MBA) from De Montfort University, Leicester, which she received in 1996. When Mahanyele graduated from Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government’s executive education program “Global Leadership and Public Policy for the 21st Century” in 2008, she was considered to be among the world’s most accomplished public policy leaders.
Phuti Mahanyele’s Professional Life
Biography Of Phuti Mahanyele: Following graduation from high school, Phuti Mahanyele worked for Fieldstone Private Capital Group in New York City. Fieldstone was a global investment banking corporation that specialized in infrastructure development and was headquartered in London. She worked her way up through the ranks to the level of Vice President before being moved to the firm’s South African branch. She then went on to serve as the head of SA Project Finance at the Development Bank of South Africa (DBSA).
Following that, in 2004, Phuti joined the Shanduka Energy division, where he served as the company’s Managing Director. She eventually rose to the position of CEO of the Shanduka Group, which she held until her departure in 2015.
Shanduka is a South African investment holding firm that was created by President Cyril Ramaphosa. Later on, she left the company to become the executive chair of Sigma Capital, a privately held, majority black-owned investment firm in the United States.
Then, in 2019, she was hired by Naspers to represent the company’s local interests in South Africa. As a result, Phuti is in charge of all Naspers enterprises that are active in South Africa. She is also in charge of the newly established Naspers business in South Africa, Naspers Labs, as well as the Naspers Foundry, a fundraising initiative that focuses on digital entrepreneurs in South Africa.
Positions in Other Fields
Biography Of Phuti Mahanyele: As the CEO of Naspers Ltd, South Africa Region, Mahanyele also serves on the boards of directors of many other firms in addition to his current position.
Some of these are as follows:
- Independent Non-Executive Director, Vodacom Group Limited
- Independent Non-Executive Director, Gold Fields Limited
- Chairman, Bain & Company South Africa, Inc.
- Chairman, Gigajoule Africa (Pty) Ltd
- Independent Non-Executive Director, Vodacom Pty Ltd, 2019
- Director, Optimum Coal Mine (Pty) Ltd.,
- Director, HTN Towers Plc.
- Board Member, Shanduka Group now, Ramaphosa Group.
Accolades and commendations
- Global Young Leader, World Economic Forum, 2007
- Top 50 women in the world to watch, Wall Street Journal, 2008
- Most Influential Woman in Government and Business, Financial Services, 2009
- 20 Youngest Power Women in Africa, Forbes, 2011
- Rutgers Vision of Excellence Award, Rutgers University, 2011
- Leading African Woman in Business, Africa Investors, 2012
- Distinguished Achievement Award by the Douglass Society, 2013
- Africa Business Woman of the Year, Forbes Woman, 2014
- Business Woman of the Year, All Africa Business Leader Awards, 2019
- One of the Most Powerful Women in Africa, 2020