Biography Of Raymond Ackerman
Biography Of Raymond Ackerman: Raymond Ackerman is a successful businessman and philanthropist from South Africa. He is the founder and owner of Pick n Pay, a South African supermarket chain that employs over 20,000 people.
In 1966, he purchased four Pick n Pay stores from Jack Goldin, and he transformed them into one of the largest supermarket chains in the country. In addition, he served as Chairman of the Board until he stepped down in 2010.
Raymond Ackerman’s Professional Background
Biography Of Raymond Ackerman: He was born on March 10th, 1931, in New York City. He graduated with honors from the University of Cape Town with a Bachelor of Commerce degree.
Raymond began working when he was 20 years old. He worked as a trainee in the Ackerman’s store, which was owned by his father, Gus Ackerman, and which sold clothing. Later on, the company was acquired by the Greatermans group of conglomerate corporations. The Greaterman company expanded into food retailing businesses named Checkers. Ackerman was in charge of the management of Checkers, and he was instrumental in making the new company a success. Raymond, on the other hand, was fired from the Greatermans store in 1966, after 15 years of service.
- Biography Of Jannie Mouton,Founder Of PSG Group
Following this response, Ackerman purchased four Pick n Pay stores from Jack Goldin in Cape Town in 1967, through the help of one of his friends. His business approach resulted in the expansion of the brand and the improvement of the entire business practice in South Africa as a result of his leadership.
Observations on His Personal Life
Biography Of Raymond Ackerman: Wendy Ackerman, Raymond Ackerman’s wife, is also one of the wealthiest women in South Africa, according to Forbes magazine. Their relationship has resulted in the birth of four children, all of whom are active in the family company.
In 2010, Ackerman transferred control to his oldest son, Gareth. Suzzane, Kathryn, and Jonathan are the names of his other children.
As Honorary Life Presidents of Pick n Pay, Raymond and his wife, Wendy, have been recognized for their contributions to the company.
Pick n Pay
Biography Of Raymond Ackerman: Pick ‘n Pay is a grocery chain in South Africa that ranks second in terms of sales volume. In 1967, he opened four shops, and currently the firm has over 1600 locations in seven countries around Southern Africa, according to the founder.
In addition, Pick & Pay holds a 49 percent stake in TM Supermarkets, a Zimbabwean grocery chain. It employs more than 38,000 people and runs Boxer shops in South Africa and Swaziland under the Boxer brand.
Food, clothes, and other miscellaneous products are the primary emphasis of Pick n Pay, which is the biggest online grocery company in Africa and the world.
The Raymond Ackerman Academy
Biography Of Raymond Ackerman: The Raymond Ackerman Academy (RAA) was established in 2005 to educate and train future leaders. It is an academy that provides a six-month full-time training program in entrepreneurship development to young people. These organizations give access to business education for young people between the ages of 18 and 30.
A six-month program is offered twice a year in collaboration with the University of Capetown Graduate School of Business in Capetown and the University of Johannesburg in Soweto, and it runs twice a year for a total of six months each session.
Basically, it is for those who are enthusiastic about business and personal growth. The seminars provide participants with opportunities to learn, educate, and support one another in order to help them and their companies develop.
Raymond Ackerman Awards
- One of First Outstanding Young South Africans, FOYSA Award, 1965
- Honorary Doctorate in Law, Rhodes University, 1986
- Paul Harris Fellowship Award from Rotary International, 1987
- One of the World’s Top 40 Marketing Superstars, Advertising Age International, 1993
- Businessman of the Year of the Year, Argus, 1994
- Business Achiever of the Year, Herald Times, 1994
- Outstanding Business Leadership, the Indian Academy of South Africa, 1996
- Melvin Jones Fellow, Lions Clubs International, 1999
- IMM Millenium Achievement Award, The Institute of Marketing Management, 1999
- One of the 100 most influential south Africans who shaped the twentieth century, 1999
- Honorary Doctorate in Commerce, University of Cape Town, 2001
- Pioneer Award, South African Council of Shopping Centers, 2001
- Second Paul Harris Fellow Award, Rotary International, 2001
- Protea Award, Association of Marketers, 2001
- Lifetime Achiever Award, Sunday Times, 2001
- 79 in the Top 100 Great South Africans, 2004
- The Only South African among the world’s 100 greatest business leaders, Financial Times, 2004
- Award for Corporate Citizenship, Woodrow Wilson Center, 2008
- David Rockefeller Bridging Leadership in Africa Award, The Synergos Institute SA, 2010
- Honorary Doctorate, University of South Africa (UNISA), 2011
- Luminary Award, Free Market Foundation (FMF), 2014
- Honorary Doctor of Letter, Rutgers Camden, 2016
Raymond Ackerman Books
He has written three books, one of which is about his business experience and the other one is about business guidance for budding entrepreneurs. The books are as follows:
- Hearing Grasshoppers Jump. The story of Raymond Ackerman as Told to Denise Pritchard, 2004
- The Four Legs of the Table. Raymond Ackerman’s simple, straight – Forward Formula for Success as told to Denise Pritchard, 2005
- A Sprat to Catch a Mackerel. Key Principles to Build Your Business, 2010